Monday, December 31, 2012

Favorite Movies of 2012



It's time once again for my nerdy "Top Ten Favorite Movies of the Year" list! As always, there were plenty of "want-to-see" movies I missed this year, but out of what I saw, I think I had the most fun with these:

1. Safety Not Guaranteed
Maybe it's just my apparent obsession with time travel stories, but this little indie comedy won my heart immediately.

2. Moonrise Kingdom 
Some people said it was too "Wes Anderson-y" even for Wes Anderson. I don't necessarily disagree. I just don't apparently have a problem with that. 

3. Paranorman
One of the most gorgeously animated movies I've seen in a while, and I enjoyed the story as well.
  
4. Wreck-It Ralph 
Between this and 2010's Tangled, Disney really seems to be back on track with their animated offerings. I enjoyed the original characters and made-up video games as much as I loved seeing the appearances by actual classic characters.

5. Bernie 
Jack Black turns in a great performance in this based-on-a-true story dark comedy.

6. The Avengers 
More or less the perfect superhero blockbuster. And definitely the best on-screen Hulk so far.
  
7. Looper 
Two time travel tales in the top ten this year!

8. Argo
Even knowing the outcome didn't keep this one from being extremely suspenseful. and with a lot more humor than I expected. 
  
9. This is 40
My favorite comedy of the year. Paul Rudd and Lelsie Mann are great.
  
10. Cabin in the Woods
Not generally a big horror movie fan, but this send-up of all the classic horror movie tropes was too much fun not to love. Also, I'm morally obligated to include any movie that features an appearance by  a murderous unicorn in my top ten.

Honorable Mentions include Lincoln, Skyfall, Brave, The Pirates! Band of Misfits, The Hobbit, The Dark Knight Rises, and a few others. It's been a good year for movies! Now to catch up on all the ones I missed...

No comments: