Monday, May 03, 2010

High School Heroes: The Mighty Mr. Nice Guy!

This week I'm beginning a new series of posts called "High School Heroes".
In my high school and early college days, I drew comics non-stop. My comics were not typically superhero comics. They were humor-based, revolving around the zany citizens of Moundsville.

Though they weren't the focus, there were a few superhero types inhabiting the city.

Even my superheroes were not to be taken seriously. They were spoofs of the genre, sort of like in The Tick. In some cases this worked okay. In others, they were cheesier even than they were meant to be.

So this new series of illustrations revisits those cheesy superhero characters. I've updated them for the new age! I'll be posting them here over the next few weeks. I hope you enjoy being introduced to them as much as I enjoyed revisiting them!

-Andrew



And here is a sample of how Mr. Nice Guy appeared back in the old days!



And one potentially good side-effect of this whole effort...it's kind of made me want to revisit Moundsville in more depth...what may come of this? :-)

5 comments:

Chris_Garrison said...

Cool. Great idea to update characters from long ago and rework the aspects that might make them not-so-fresh today.

I think the semi-naive style of the high school comic would actually be hotter currently (think SuperJail), but will look dated in a few more years.

Moundsville? Does that have any relation to Alabama's Moundville (with no S)? Is that where Jenn and Bueno and Aubie live?

The Mighty Mr. Nice Guy's split personality reminds me a bit of my own rage-aholic polar bear character, Gritter. (5-page comics HERE and HERE )

Andrew said...

Thanks, glad you like the concept here.

Yes, pretty much every original character of mine reside in Moundsville, even the ones who have been created since I did regular comics about it.

Oddly enough, when I named Moundsville back in the high school days, I didn't even realize there was an s-less Moundville just miles away.

And yes, I can see the similarities in Gritter's barely supressed rage! But he's seldom as educational.

Anonymous said...

How do i get a book published?
I am a teen and i draw a little here is my site www.onyiart.webs.com

Anonymous said...

um...
I like Captain Noose
way better:)

Eric said...

LMAO... just geeking out over the high school page... it really wasn't that bad for study hall art, was it?